Staff selection commission (SSC)
Combined Graduate Level Examination
SSC CGL Exam Pattern
Every year Staff Selection Commission (SSC) carries out the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) in four levels for various posts.
|Tier – I||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – II||Objective Multiple Choice||Computer Based (online)|
|Tier – III||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi||Pen and Paper mode|
|Tier – IV||Skill Test/Computer Proficiency Test||Wherever Applicable|
Before beginning the planning of SSC CGL preparation, it is fundamental to know the changes in exam pattern and syllabus. The change to SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2018 for Tier 1 and 2 is given underneath:
- SSC CGL 2018 Tier 1 and Tier 2 exam will be held online.
- A descriptive paper is introduced which will be of 100 marks with a time limit of 60 minutes in pen and paper mode.
- The time limit for examination of Tier -I is reduced from 120 minutes to 75 minutes.
- Tier II will remain same.
- There will be no sectional cut off.
Since the SSC CGL is consists of 4 levels of examination, therefore, the syllabus of the same should be dealt with independently.
- SSC CGL Tier 1
Tier 1 is an objective exam which will be held online. It will have 4 sections in Tier 1 exam of SSC CGL 2018, with 100 questions. Each question will carry 2 marks which makes a total of 200 marks. The subject-wise bifurcation of marks is given below:
|Section||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||60 minutes|
|2||General Awareness||25||50||(For VH &Candidates
- SSC CGL 2018 Tier 1 Exam will have negative marking. One wrong answer to a question will deduct 0.5 marks from the total of all sections.
- For visually handicapped the exam duration is 100 minutes.
- SSC CGL Tier 2
Tier 2 exam is an objective exam which will be conducted online. There are four sections in this Tier with 100 questions which account for a total of 200 marks. The subject-wise details are given below:
|Paper||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Quantitative Abilities||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 Hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance & Economics)||100||200||2 Hours|
- Paper-1 and Paper-2 are compulsory for all posts
- Paper-3 is only for the post of “Statistical Investigator Gr. II” & “Compiler”
- Paper-4 is only for the post of “Assistant Audit Officer”
- There will be negative marking in SSC CGL 2018 Tier 2 exam.
- One wrong answer to a question will deduct 0.5 marks in Paper-1,3,4 and 0.25 marks in Paper-2.
- Level for Paper 1 Questions will be of 10th standard l, Paper-2 of 10+2 level and Paper-3 & 4 on graduation level.
- The computer will be made available by the Commission at the Centre/venue allocated for the exam
- Candidates shall not be allowed to bring their own Key-board for the purpose.
- The duration of the exam is 2 Hours and 40 Minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped.
- SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam
This is a descriptive exam with the purpose of testing the written skills of the candidates in English/Hindi. It is held offline. The candidates are required to write Essay/Letter/Application/Precis. In order to prepare for this section one needs to read lots of articles from various newspapers and magazines. Besides this, you need to be well-versed with the latest pattern of Letter and Application.
- The duration of this exam is of 60 minutes’ and carries 100 marks.
- 10+2 level questions are asked in this exam.
- It is a qualifying exam.
- The duration of the exam duration 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped or suffering from cerebral palsy.
- SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam
Tier 4 Exam of SSC CGL Exam 2018 will have couple of skill tests which are necessary for certain government posts.
- DEST (Data Entry Speed Test): It is a qualifying skill test for all the posts, other than Compiler. It is held to test the typing speed of the candidate. In this test the candidates are given printed material in English which they should type accurately on a computer with a minimum of 2000 (two thousand) key depressions. The duration of this test is 15 (fifteen) minutes.
- CPT (Computer Proficiency Test): SSC will hold CPT, in three modules – Word Processing, Spread Sheet and Generation of Slides. It will be applicable for applicants of Assistants of CSS. CPT is a qualifying test.